National Employee Health & Fitness Day has been extended to a month-long initiative in an effort to generate sustainable healthy lifestyles. In honor of National Employee Health and Fitness Month, Live Healthy DeKalb County is inviting employers and employees in DeKalb County to participate in a number of free events during the month of May.
For each event attended, a participant’s name will be entered into a raffle to be drawn on Friday, May 31, during the Live Healthy DeKalb County Breakfast and Trail Walk—the more events attended, the better your odds.
Community organizations are also invited to complete a Workplace Wellness survey at www.surveymonkey.com/s/7B78WDD to discover the health of their workplace and become eligible for an award. For more information or to register for any of these events, contact Kara Gallagher at firstname.lastname@example.org
• Zumba Party, 9 a.m. Saturday, May 11, at the DeKalb High School Fieldhouse. Those attending should be 13 and older.
• Fit Fest at Kishwaukee Family YMCA, noon to 3 p.m. and 4 to 6 p.m. Wednesday, May 15. See how many coworkers you can get to walk a mile with you. Hours were added this year to make it easier for people to participate. The walk will be held indoors if it rains.
• Bike to Work Day, Friday, May 17. To participate, take a group or individual photo of employees who biked to work on May 17 and send them to email@example.com along with the names of each participant and the mailing information for the business. Deadline for photos is May 24.
• Y Volunteer Day, 9 a.m. to noon and 1 to 4 p.m. Saturday, May 18. The Y will partner with DeKalb County Community Gardens to start gardens at sites around the county.
• Healthy Cooking Demo, 6 p.m. Monday, May 20 at Hy-Vee. Hy-Vee’s dietitian Lisa Brandt will concoct simple, tasty treats that are good for you.
• Live Healthy DeKalb County Breakfast & Trail Walk, 7:30 – 9 a.m. Friday, May 31, at Hopkins Park. Awards will be presented based on the results of the online health survey during this healthy breakfast. After breakfast, participants can walk the trails.